While He Tarries Ministries
Introduction to the virgin birth of Jesus:
After the Old Testament there was a period of 400 years where there were no prophets of God. There was not a word from God during this period. God was not speaking.
What we need to understand is that from the time of the last prophet in the Old Testament until the time of the New Testament was 400 years. All during the Old Testament times, God spoke to the Jews by the prophets. And then God stopped speaking to them for 400 long years. That is many generations where no one heard from God.
Was God mad at them? Had He abandoned them? Why was God not speaking? This had never happened before.
There were no prophets during this period. What was wrong? These are some of the questions that would be rattling around in the minds of the Jews during this time period.
And then John the Baptist appeared' A prophet of God had appeared' (See Mt 3:1-5.) I can just imagine the excitement of the
Jews to understand
that a real prophet had appeared again after 400 years without one. God was speaking to them again. How exciting! It is no wonder that they
flocked to John the Baptist in the desert. !See verse 5". Did you ever wonder why so many would trek to the desert to see
someone dressed in Camel's hair? This is why. It was a VERY big deal to the Jews to have a prophet of God again.
Why did God wait until now? He was waiting for just the right time for the next event on his calendar to take place.
And then it happened. It was the fullness of time and God's time was right. A prophet of God finally appeared again. When he came he spoke
hard words to them about repenting and repentance. And yet they flocked to him in the desert to hear him because God was finally speaking again.
But what words he spoke.
- Mark 1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God:
- Mark 1:2 as it is written in the Prophets, "Behold, I send My messenger before Your face, who shall prepare Your way before You.
- ark 1:3 The voice of one crying in the wilderness, prepare the way of the Lord, make His paths straight.
- Mark 1:4 John came baptizing in the wilderness and proclaiming the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
- Mark 1:5 And all the land of Judea, and those of Jerusalem, went out to him and were all baptized by him in the Jordan River, confessing
- Mark 1:6 And John was clothed with camel's hair, and with a leather girdle about his loin. And he ate locusts and wild honey.
- Mark 1:7 And he proclaimed, saying, There is One coming after me who is mightier than I, the thong of whose sandals I am not worthy to
stoop down to loosen.
- Mark 1:8 I indeed have baptized you in water, but He shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit.
Now John the Baptist was preparing the way for this Jesus whose birth we celebrate each year.
As part of the celebration there was a song written that goes something like this:
What a mighty God we serve.
In Him we live and breathe and have our being.
Now this is Biblical because in Colossians 1:16 it says this:
And in Revelations it says:
- Colossians 1:16 For all things were created in Him, the things in the heavens, and the things on the earth, the visible and the invisible,
whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers, all things were created through Him and for Him.
You see, we serve a mighty God who deserves our reverence and obedience. He is our mighty God, the creator of the universe, whose very existence
depends on him.
- Revelation 4:10 the twenty-four elders fell down before the One sitting on the throne. And they worshiped Him who lives for ever and ever,
and threw their crowns before the throne, saying,
- Revelation 4:11 O Lord, You are worthy to receive glory and honor and power, because You created all things, and for Your will they are
and were created.
And then He showed His love for us by sending Himself to us in the form of Jesus. How this transpired is very important to us.
So let us examine what really happened.
One thing that we celebrate each year is the birth of Jesus Christ.
Was this an ordinary birth? Not at all! Let us see what the Scriptures say!
Looking up the Hebrew word for virgin we get "Almah" which can only mean virgin.
- Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
Let's see what the New Testament says?
The Greek word that was used is "parthenos" which also can only mean virgin.
- Matthew 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is,
God with us.
Let's see what Luke says.
Is this important? More than you might think!!
Let's see what Romans says.
- Luke 1:31-37
- 31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.
- 32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
- 33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
- 34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?
- 35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee:
therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
- 36 And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was
- 37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.
Now the first part of the verse says that because of Adam's sin, judgment comes to ALL men. If Jesus was born normally, then how could he
escape this judgment himself?
- Romans 5:12 Therefore just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men,
because all sinned...
- Romans 5:18 Therefore as by the offense of one (Adam) judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift
came upon all men unto justification of life.
Now the blood line is passed on by the man. This is true in the natural by the man's last name. It is also true in the spiritual.
- 1 Corinthians 15:21 For since by man came death, by man also came the resurrection of the dead.
- Galatians 3.29 And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to promise.
We don't have time to go into this in detail now, but the only way that Jesus could be born without sin was to NOT have a fleshly
father or he would have inherited judgment on himself. This is why the Holy Spirit had to be the father.
Therefore the virgin birth is a major and central item in the Christian faith. To deny the virgin birth is to deny the deity of Jesus.
According to Matthew 1:23 "Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,"
which is translated "God with us."
Satan has been trying to downplay the significance of this event ever since it happened, just like he has been trying to downplay the
importance of the blood of Jesus.
We don't have time to go into more detail now, but be wary of any church or person that downplays either the virgin birth or the
blood of Jesus. They are already into error!
Now why did he go to all this trouble of intervening into time like this? He did it because YOU matter to Him!
Jesus is God's GIFT to mankind.
Then we can join the Apostle Paul and say:
- John 3:17 "For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through him might be saved."
The virgin birth is one of the 7 pillars of the Christian faith that is being attacked by Satan today. They are:
- 2 Corinthians 9:15: Thanks be to God for His indescribable GIFT!
- The infallibility of the Word of God
- The Deity of Christ
- The virgin birth of Christ
- The work of the Cross
- The power of the shed blood of Christ
- The miraculous power of God
- The return of Jesus at the rapture