While He Tarries Ministries
The Blood Sacrifice
Our current topic is "The Blood Sacrifice"
This is a continuation from "The Original Sin."
Questions to be answered are as follows:
1. Who provided the way of escape from the penalty?
- Who provided the way of escape from the penalty?
- What is the plan of God?
God then provided for them by killing innocent animals and shedding their blood and providing coats of skin for them ( the first shedding
of blood for sin).
- Genesis 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.
God provided the animal sacrifice as a covering for them. This was symbolic for the future atonement.
Atonement is Hebrew word "Kaphar" which means to cover and make reconciliation. Throughout the OT the guilt of the transgressor is passed
to the sacrifice and the innocence is transferred by imputation (to recken or put down to a person's account) to the transgressor.
But how could God just forgive us if he hates sin, cannot look on sin ,and is a just God. What about justice, judgment, and penalty?
All evil in this world WILL be punished. No one will get away with sin.
- Leviticus 19:2 -- I am Holy (also Psalms 145.17; Isaiah 6.3)
- Habakkuk 1:13 -- Can't look on iniquity
- Isaiah 13:11 -- will punish evil (also Isaiah 26.21)
- John 3:36 -- He that believeth not the Son of God shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
Even though they may be having fun in this life, they have a black cloud called "wrath" over their head. How can God just
forgive our sins?
He can't and won't!! A price must be paid. Justice must be served!
What about his justice? What about his actions in the old testament? How is the new testament different? We have to start with this question:
- Psalms 32:1 ( and Romans 4:7 ) Blessed is the man whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
What is sin? Isaiah 14:12-14. I will [self-will, self-centeredness], instead of God's will.
I want to do it my way
Look where it gets us!!
BUT WE CANNOT ON OUR OWN !!!
- Matthew 5:48 "Be ye therefore perfect"
- Mark 12:30-31 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart,---
2. AND THIS IS WHERE THE PLAN OF GOD BEGINS
Leviticus 17:11 -- For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls:
for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul. NOT JUST A DEATH!
Some call this the butcher shop gospel
Some call this the blood theology
Some say this is ugly and evil to shed blood like this -- but remember -- sin is also evil in God's eyes.
Some say-- surely God doesn't require all this shedding of blood -- surely He can't be pleased with this!
Let's look and see!!
Now how do you suppose that Cain knew that God had no respect for his offering?
- Genesis 4:4 -- And Abel, he also brought brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the Lord had respect unto Abel
and to his offering (there was a blood sacrifice):
- Genesis 4:5 -- But unto Cain and his offering he had no respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell. WHY?
- Genesis 4:3 -- And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
(No blood sacrifice.)
Let us find out.
So you see it appears that one way that they knew that He had respect for a sacrifice was if fire came down from heaven. I believe that this is how
Abel knew that his sacrifice was accepted and Cain knew that his was not.
- Leviticus 9:18 -- He slew also the bullock and the ram for a sacrifice of peace offerings, which was for the people: and Aaron's sons
presented unto him the blood, which he sprinkled upon the altar round about, ---
- Leviticus 9:19 to 23 you can read for yourself
- Leviticus 9:24 -- And there came a fire out from before the Lord, and consumed upon the altar the burnt offering and the fat.
- 2 Chronicles 7:1 Now when Solomon had made an end of praying, the fire came down from heaven, and consumed the burnt offering
and the sacrifices; and the glory of the Lord filled the house.
- 1 Kings 18:38 -- Then the fire of the Lord fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice---
God was serious in that the atonement was through the shedding of blood of an innocent sacrifice all through the OT and into the NT.
A person is either accepted or rejected on the basis of his sacrifice to God.
- Leviticus 6:25 -- sin offering is most holy
- Leviticus 10:17 -- sin offering is most holy
- Leviticus 7:1 -- trespass offering: it is most holy, etc.
And of course today in NT times we are talking about the perfect sacrifice of Jesus for us -- if we accept it. Not just His death, but HIS BLOOD.
Next, we will cover "The Perfect Sacrifice".