While He Tarries Ministries
False Teachings about the anointing
False Teachings about the anointing.
In this article we will discuss the term "anointing".
The Holy Spirit cannot honor a lie. So if we want the blessing of the Holy Spirit, clearly, we must make sure that our position
conforms to His truth. His truth is in the Scriptures.
The Holy Spirit speaks to man's spirit, not his flesh, and He reasons with men in their spirit according to the Word of God. The
numbers in parentheses eg. 5535 are Strong's numbers for the Greek or Hebrew word and are defined at the end of this article.
So with that, Let's see what the Word says!
HOW DOES THE HOLY SPIRIT WORK TODAY?
For some time I have been hearing about the anointing, being anointed, etc. I even read several books about the anointing. Today
we are going to study the anointing as defined in the Bible. A lot of people are being led astray by not understanding the anointing
and how it relates to you and I.
First we will study the anointing in the Old Testament. What was it used for?
TO CONSECRATE FOR MINISTERING
TO SET APART FOR MINISTRY
- Exodus 28:41 And thou shalt put them upon Aaron thy brother, and his sons with him; and shalt anoint (Strong's 4886) them,
and consecrate them,
and sanctify them, that they may minister unto me in the priest's office.
- Exodus 40:9 And thou shalt take the anointing oil, and anoint the tabernacle, and all that is therein, and shalt hallow it, and all
the vessels thereof: and it shall be holy.
WHEN A KING OR CAPTAIN WAS CHOSEN
- Leviticus 8:12 And he poured of the anointing oil upon Aaron's head, and anointed him, to sanctify him.
- Numbers 7:1 And it came to pass on the day that Moses had fully set up the tabernacle, and had anointed it, and sanctified it, and
all the instruments thereof, both the altar and all the vessels thereof, and had anointed (Strong's 4886) them, and sanctified them;
FOR CHOSEN PREACHERS
- 1 Samual 9:16 To morrow about this time I will send thee a man out of the land of Benjamin, and thou shalt anoint him to be captain
over my people Israel, that he may save my people out of the hand of the Philistines: for I have looked upon my people, because their
cry is come unto me.
- 2 Samuel 12:7 And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I anointed (Strong's 4886) thee
king over Israel,
and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul;
FOR ANOINTING THE SICK
- Isaiah 61:1-2 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath
sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
- Acts 10:38 How God anointed (Strongs's 5548) Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about
doing good, and healing all
that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
WHO DOES THE ANOINTING??
- Mark 6:13 And they cast out many devils, and anointed (Strong's 218) with oil many that were sick, and healed them.
- John 9:6 When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed (Strong's 2025) the
eyes of the blind
man with the clay,
- James 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing
(Strong's 218) him with
oil in the name of the Lord:
- 1 Samuel 15:17 And Samuel said, When thou wast little in thine own sight, wast thou not made the head of the tribes of Israel, and
the LORD anointed (Strong's 4886) thee king over Israel?
- 1 Samuel 16:3 And call Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will shew thee what thou shalt do: and thou shalt anoint (Strong's 4886)
unto me him whom
I name unto thee.
- 2 Corinthians 1:21 Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed (Strong's 5548) us, is God;
- I John 2:20 But ye have an unction (Strong's 5545) from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
- I John 2:27 But the anointing (Strong's 5545) which ye have received of him (GOD) abideth in you, and ye need
not that any man teach you:
but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in
him. See the two cross referenced verses below!
- Isaiah 10:27 And it shall come to pass in that day, that his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off
thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing (Strong's 8081).
OLD TESTAMENT COMMENTS:
- To set apart or consecrate someone (a priest , king etc.): Exodus 28.41; Judges 9.15; 1 Samual 9.16
- For ministry: Leviticus 8:10, Exodus 28.41
- Anoint for healing: John 9.6; James 5.14
- Anointed by God: 2 Corinthians 1.21; 1 John 2.20; 1 John 2.27; Acts 10.38; Isaiah 61.1; Luke 4.18
- Yoke destroyed by the anointing: ISA 10.27 (The fatness or fullness of the Spirit) See also 1 John 20, 27. (In other words - yoke
destroyed by God.)
NOWHERE in the OT do we see the anointing referred to as a supernatural mystical power given to humans by which they were able to work
the miraculous. In other words, he gave gifts according to His will.
NOWHERE in the OT do we read of there being a "double-portion" anointing.
2 Kings 2.9 Elisha asked for a double portion of his spirit, not his anointing.
NOWHERE in the OT do we read of the anointing being transmitted from one person to another by the laying on of hands.
NOWHERE in the OT do we read of any methods, keys, or means by which individuals can:
1. obtain the anointing
2. increase the anointing
3. lose the anointing
The above statements also hold true in the NEW TESTAMENT
NOWHERE does Jesus teach on "how to obtain the anointing".
NOWHERE do we read of Paul transmitting the anointing to others by the laying on of hands.
NOWHERE in the NT do we read of any teaching statements concerning the anointing.
SOME OF THE FALSE TEACHINGS ON THE ANOINTING
1. Releasing the anointing
2. Receiving a special anointing.
3. Anointing in the hands
4. Supernatural anointing to heal the sick.
5. Supernatural presence in the hand for healing others.
WHAT IS THE ANOINTING?
- 1. Luke 4:18. The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he (GOD) hath anointed me to preach ...
- The anointing and the person of the Holy Spirit CANNOT be separated. The charismatic teachers have made the anointing a separate
power that God bestows on people. Not so!
- 2. Acts 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power...
- Again note the correlation between the anointing and the presence of the Holy Spirit.
- 3. Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall
- The Holy Ghost and the anointing are inseparable. You cannot have one without the other.
- 4. KEY: It is impossible for me as a believer to impart God to someone else. If one is a believer, they have all of the person of
the Holy Spirit they will ever have if you have the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. However, you can have numerous fillings of the
Holy Spirit by a prayer request.
- 5. It is impossible to increase the amount of the Spirit an individual possesses. This means that it is impossible to increase
the "anointing" of another person by laying hands on them.
- 6. It should be obvious that we cannot impart anointing to an inanimate object. We do not command or direct the Holy Spirit.
He does not flow out of me into bags of corn meal, coins, etc.
- 7. He is not a commodity to be given away, nor is his divine power.
- 8. 1 John 2.27 But the anointing (Strong's 5545) which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that
any man teach you;
but as the same anointing (Strong's 5545) teacheth you of all things... (This word (Strong's 5545) is used
figuratively of the Holy Spirit.)
- 8.1 How can the anointing teach a person anything? It can't, unless the anointing is in fact the Person of the Holy Spirit.
Personalities teach, impersonal powers do not.
- 8.2 A lot of charismatics write books and deal with the anointing as a commodity that can be transferred or increased. AS WE
CAN SEE, THIS IS A DANGEROUS MISCONCEPTION.
All of this is a false hope and a false doctrine. They are in mass confusion because they have departed from the simple teaching
of the Bible on this issue. Whatever is transpiring is more akin to the world of the occult than it is to orthodox Christianity.
The scriptures are devoid of any such experiences. It is, however, a very common experience in the occult world and within
We do not have to release our faith. We have to have faith in what God said in His Word.
We do not have a point of contact for the anointing or transfer the anointing by contact.
In another article we will deal more on this as we discuss how to cooperate with the Holy Spirit in order to let God work.
OLD TESTAMENT DEFINITIONS
Strong's 4886 to rub with oil, to consecrate. Not every instance was religious, such as rubbing the body. Anointing was a formal
way of inducting certain leaders into office. This action signified that the anointed person was separated for God's service
and chosen by Him. The Spirit of God accompanied that person. This practice provided the backdrop for the ultimate Anointed
One, Jesus Christ, who was predicted in the OT.
Strong's 4899 This adjective comes from Strong's 4866. It means anointed. It was used as a synonym for king. Since God made
it was a very special title of honor which highlighted a unique relationship between God and that individual.
Strong's 8081 It refers to grease, fat, or oil prepared for various purposes. Kings and priest were anointed with Strong's 8081. The
tabernacle was consecrated with Strong's 8081. Isaiah 10.27 refers to fatness.
NEW TESTAMENT DEFINITIONS-
Strong's 218 To rub, cover over. It is used of all actual anointings, whether with oil or ointment.
Strong's 1472 to rub in oil, anoint
Strong's 2025 to smear over, to anoint.
Strong's 3462 to apply, to anoint.
Strong's 5545 the anointing. The specially prepared anointing oil. It is used figuratively for the Spirit in 1 John 2:20, 27.
This word was chosen to refer to the OT practice and to remind them of their calling and mark.
Strong's 5548 to anoint, with a sacred or religious meaning. From this is derived Christos, the Anointed One, Christ. Contrast
to Strong's 218, to cover over, rub, used with mundane significance involving oil or ointment.